Monday, February 16, 2009

Personal Update

I've tried to keep the self-promotion to a minimum, but if I've stepped on your sensibilities, I apologize. You can skip this post if you want.

A few personal notes:

My book Your Jesus is Too Safe is still on track for a July release. Don't have a street date yet, but I'll obviously shout from the rooftops when I do. The good folks at Kregel have been incredible to work with, btw. I've seen a preliminary workup of the prospective cover, and it looks awesome! I'm pretty excited, naturally.

I'm also excited because the Ed Stetzer has agreed to write the Foreword. Thanks, Ed!

We began a new series at Element two weeks ago on the book of Haggai. It's called "DWELL." It has been such a blessing to present the gospel from the Old Testament and preach Jesus from the minor prophets (as I did last year with Habakkuk). If you are ever tempted to skip over the "obscure" books, don't! And don't think you can't find the good news in them either.

Writing update:
Each week I've hoped to have a substantial amount of time to begin work on my follow-up in earnest, but each week -- and this is a blessing -- I keep receiving freelance assignments that keep me busy. It's good paying work, so I don't turn much of it down.
This week may be the first in months I've been able to sit down and focus on writing for me. But of course this won't be the first week I've thought that. ;-)

In any event, the book I will begin any day now is tentatively titled Postcards from the Revolution: The Parables as Sabotage.

On only a semi-related note, I now have a booking page on my personal website. If you're interested in having me speak to your group or at your church or event, check it out.

And on that note, I will be preaching at Middletown Springs Community Church in Middletown Springs, Vermont on March 1. If you're anywhere near that area then, hope to see you.

Thus ends the shameless self-promotion. For the time being. ;-)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jared,

Wanted to let you know that I've been enjoying your blog over the past couple months and am looking forward to your book. Got a question. Have you found any specific books on the parables to be helpful in your upcoming book that you are working on? I'm going to be teaching through them and am always looking for good resources.

Thanks,
Rob

Jared said...

Rob, my absolute favorite is Craig Blomberg's book on the parables. His "definition" of them, in fact, is the inspiration for my seeing them as "smart bombs" of a sort. Pictures of the kingdom revolution for those who have eyes to see and ears to hear. Etc.

But, yeah, I'd recommend Blomberg.
And Simon Kistemaker's book is excellent too.

Both do a great job at blending the academic with accessibility. Good, solid, scholarly approaches to the parables in readable, inspirational ways.

David Rudd said...

For some reason, shameless self promotion is much more bearable when the shameless one recognizes it as such!

i actually read the whole thing... :)

Jared said...

:-)