Friday, September 12, 2008

Cross-Centered Pastoring: The Burden and the Passion

C.J. Mahaney on pastoring in submission to 1 Timothy 4:16:



A year and a half ago I sat in a living room listening to people talk about divorce, adultery, abuse, and addiction, and I went home and said to God, "Kill me if I ever take this calling lightly."

Pastoring and preaching is a burden and a privilege. Don't do it if you can not do it.
Let everyone else lose their passion; not me.
Let everyone else take it lightly; not me.
Let everyone else lose heart; not me.

My self and my community are at stake if I do not take the gospel seriously.

Not many of you should presume to be teachers, my brothers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly.
-- James 3:1

Pastors, do you enter the pulpit/stage this weekend with the grand scale of the gospel in mind?
You may fail your congregation even if you give them what they want.

No comments: