Friday, July 25, 2008

Five For Friday: Songs of the Moment

This time with video!

5. Radiohead, "Bodysnatchers"
This is my favorite song off their last album, In Rainbows. Why? Well, it rocks my face off. And the lyrics are self-referentially nonsensical. Eg. "I have no idea what I'm talking about." You and me both, Thom!
But for anyone who cares to see, I'm alive. :-)



4. Ray LaMontagne, "Jolene"
Okay, I officially have a mancrush on Ray LaMontagne. But his voice is just so pleasingly souful! And this song is so heartbreaking and sweet at the same time.
(This is not a remake of the Dolly Parton song, as awesome as that would be.)



3. The Lost Dogs, "No Ship Coming In"
The best Christian rock supergroup nobody ever heard of. I love this song. So romantic.



2. Al Green, "Sha La La (Make Me Happy)"
I posted this back on Valentine's Day, but Al Green is wonderful at any time. They just don't make music like this any more. (And notice, in the wide shots of the dancers on the floor, nobody's grinding on anyone's booty or anything. :-)
If you don't like this, I don't like you.



1. George Harrison and Paul Simon, "Here Comes the Sun"
Two geniuses playing one of my favorite Beatles songs. Beautiful.



(That's it for the week. Have a manifesto brewin' but I'm gonna save it for next week. Have a great weekend.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the Lost Dogs clip.
A bit rough, but great to see them enjoying each other's company at the end.

Rob Harrison said...

At the moment, the one that's stuck in my head is Mr. Mister's "Kyrie"; I heard it on the radio the other day, and it seems to have set up semi-permanent residence in my frontal cortex (which is why I put up a post about it).

Rob Harrison said...

Oh, and I second the thanks on the Lost Dogs clip. I love those guys' music, in all its various iterations.

Bob Spencer said...

Wow, I love the Harrison Simon thing. I wasn't aware of this from two who are among my musical heroes alos. As for LaMontagne, cool. Did you know he's from up here in Maine? Local boy makes good!