Monday, January 7, 2008

The Haul, 2007

TulipGirl checked in at my old (ancient in blog-years) haunt, Mysterium Tremendum, for my annual holiday book haul. I actually hadn't planned on posting what I got this year, but since readers demanded it (okay, since TulipGirl asked for it), this is what I came home from Texas with, book-wise.

It's a lesser haul this year (compare to last year's). I shopped conservatively, mostly for space considerations.

Amnesia Moon by Jonathan Lethem
End Zone by Don DeLillo
World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks (which I promptly devoured and absolutely loved)
The Ruins by Scott Smith
The Coup by John Updike
Licks of Love by John Updike
Brazil by John Updike (which I apparently also bought last year but forgot about)
Trust Me by John Updike
Couples by John Updike

"Catching up on your Updike?" the clerk at the store asked me.

Jesus and the Rise of Early Christianity by Paul Barnett
The Faith: A History of Christianity by Brian Moynahan (a Christmas gift from Bird)
Our Triune God by Peter Toon
Biblical Faith by Francis Brown
1 Corinthians, TNTC by Leon Morris
Evil and the Justice of God by N.T. Wright (a Christmas gift from Blo)
Christian Unity: An Exposition of Ephesians 4:1-16 by Martyn Lloyd-Jones
The Place of the Gospels in the General History of Literature by Karl Ludwig Schmidt

I also got a couple of samurai comic books. :-)

It was a good vacation for reading too. Once upon a time, pre-Element, I read on average one novel a week. Since Element started last February, I think I read 5 novels total in 2007. But just in the last 2 weeks of vacation I read 4 book-length works of fiction!


Andrew said...

I recently read Evil and the Justice of God, and it was really good. Hope you enjoy it.

TulipGirl said...