Monday, July 21, 2008

Lean, Mean Linking Machine

Once upon a time (say, in the mid-90's) I was a young, thin man. I didn't have to work at staying thin; I just was. And athletic too. Every weekend, I gathered with buddies to play basketball or football, depending on the season, and I was routinely picked first.

Then I got married and moved away, and we were able to afford my going to school full time, and I didn't have any friends to play sports with, and I never worked out anyway, and did I mention I got married to a woman who in addition to being incredibly hot and incredibly smart is an incredible cook?
Ten years later I was not so thin. Age, diet, and lethargy took their toll. My first clue of course was visiting Houston again, gathering with buddies (and their younger buddies), and being picked near last for touch football. Near last! After once going first in every draft! It was humiliating. And that wasn't based on anyone seeing me play. It was based purely on my being the pudgy guy. Too fat to be fast, not fat enough to be a reliable blocker apparently.

Wake up call.

I started eating right and working out (it's not rocket science), and I lost 55 pounds. That's not a typo. 55. I looked good, I felt good.
I took it off and kept it off.
And then Element happened and a whole bunch of other stuff, and workout time became hard to come by. Becky has always maintained a regular workout, but she can do hers at home. I just couldn't get to the gym in the mornings any more and by the end of the day, I was too wiped to care. After being thin again for almost 2 years, I've put about 30 pounds back on.

But I'm getting my act together (again). I got up at 5 a.m. this morning (5 a.m. for goodness' sake! before God's even up!) and worked out with Beck. I can do this thing.

Well, we'll see what happens.

Here are some links to get your brain a'flexin' . . .

A homeschooling dad writes about how Homeschool is Not the Gospel

Rob Harrison on "right theology" and its affect on salvation

Church advertisements from 1927

Ed Stetzer reviews World Magazine's look at the multi-site phenomenon

When Jesus won't go along for the ride

Sweaty humanity

Happy surfing!

No comments: