Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Justified: Just-as-if-I'd always . . .

In Genesis' tales of Abraham and Sarah, we see the ways that Sarah exerts control. "Go into my servant Hagar," she tells Abraham. The rest is manipulative history. We also learn that "she was afraid" (Gen. 18:15).

Then, in 1 Peter 3:5-6, Peter commends Sarah's submission and fearlessness.

Say what now?

Welcome to the covenant of grace. In here Abraham the sinful jerk has his faith credited to him as righteousness, and you can too. God out of his measureless love in the unsearchable riches of the grace of Jesus makes us controlling cowards totally justified.

Covered in his seamless righteousness, Jesus' perfect obedience becomes ours.

Justified: "just as if I'd" never sinned, right? But also just as if I'd always obeyed.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Just as if I am Jesus...

Gabe said...

Well that finally explains Lot being called righteous in 2 Pet. 2:7.