Friday, April 1, 2011

Idolatry is No April Foolin'

The following is not made up. It is not an April Fool's Day joke. It arrived in my inbox earlier this week, forwarded by a member of my church. It illustrates the pantheism still popular in our neck of the woods (Vermont). But it illustrates something else too. Read it, and then I'll tell you what.
Energy formula of Albert Einstein, E=MC2 really means that Energy = number of people and the square of people's consciousness.

Now is the time to understand the true meaning. Let us all join the prayer ceremony as fellow citizens of the planet earth. I would like to ask all people, not just in Japan, but all around the world to please help us to find a way out the crisis of this planet!!

The prayer procedure is as follows.

Name of ceremony:
Let's send our thoughts of love and gratitude to all water in the nuclear plants in Fukushima

Day and Time:
March 31st, 2011 (Thursday)
12:00 noon in each time zone

Please say the following phrase:
"The water of Fukushima Nuclear Plant, we are sorry to make you suffer. Please forgive us. We thank you, and we love you."

Please say it aloud or in your mind. Repeat it three times as you put your hands together in a prayer position.

Please offer your sincere prayer.
To repeat, this is not an April Fool's Day joke, although it is a joke. It's a real effort to get people to pray to water. (Now, I got this email in an airport, laughed at it, got on the plane, and then proceeded to spill my water in my lap. So maybe I made water mad. :-) Before we get too laugh-happy, though, let's remember that this is us. This is everybody.

On our sinful heart's default setting, we too believe we have the power, not God, and we too orient our religious energy toward whatever our god is, be it the water deity or the perfect family.

We all need the gospel.

2 comments:

Jeff Wright said...

I've got major apologies to make to the water in my toilet.

Jason said...

Wow...that just rocked my spirit. I read that and just reeled from the idolatry of it.