Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Herein Would I Live, Herein Would I Die

"Herein would I live; herein would I die; hereon would I dwell in my thoughts and affections, to the withering and consumption of all the painted beauties of this world, unto the crucifying all things here below, until they become unto me a dead and deformed thing, no way meet for affectionate embraces. For these and the like reasons, I shall first inquire into our beholding of the glory of Christ in this world by faith . . .

Wherefore the blessed and blessing sight which we shall have of God, will be always in the face of Jesus Christ. Therein will that manifestation of the glory of God in his infinite perfections, and all their blessed operations, so shine into our souls, as shall immediately fill us with peace, rest, and glory."

-- John Owen, The Glorious Mystery of the Person of Christ (New York: Carter, 1839), pp. 381, 383.

No comments: