1. Thank you to the Dallas Cowboys for stinking so badly on Sunday that the Patriots losing to Cleveland(!) was overshadowed and fairly forgotten.
2. Denny Burk on the NIV 2011's rendering of 1 Timothy 2:12. He makes some interesting points. I’m a complementarian, partly because of that passage in 1 Timothy, but it would not have occurred to me to read “assume authority” the way Denny Burk says it leans until this blog post. In that context, I read “assume” like “take up” or, well, “exercise.” One would have to read into the word the concept of “sinfully assuming apart from the delegation of the church,” which is something (in my opinion) egalitarians already do with “exercise” anyway. The best question is not “which side does this support?” but “what does the text say?” Doug Moo’s comment was helpful, I think.
3. Did your people win elections last Tuesday? Now's the time to start lowering your expectations. ;-)
4. “Being amazed by God’s grace is a sign of spiritual vitality. It is a litmus test of how firm and real is our grasp of the Christian gospel and how close is our walk with Jesus Christ. The growing Christian finds that the grace of God astonishes and amazes.” -- Sinclair Ferguson (HT: OFI)
5. I know that my Redeemer lives.
6. I love this: