Monday, September 13, 2010

What Gospel Wakefulness Does to Scripture Reading

Thomas Bilney (1495-1531):
I chanced upon this sentence of St. Paul (O most sweet and comfortable sentence to my soul!) in 1 Timothy 1. 'It is a true saying, and worthy of all men to be embraced, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am the chief and principal.'

This one sentence, through God's instruction and inward working . . . did so exhilarate my heart, being before wounded with the guilt of my sins, and being almost in despair, that even immediately I seemed unto myself inwardly to feel a marvelous comfort and quietness, insomuch as 'my bruised bones leaped for joy' (Ps 51). After this, the Scripture began to be more pleasant unto me than the honey or the honey-comb.

Once we've experienced the sweetness of the liberating Word, we will find it eversweet.

(HT: Dane Ortlund)

No comments: