Monday, July 12, 2010

Sounds Like Gospel Wakefulness

Lifted entirely from Ray Ortlund, Jr.:
“In the evening I went very unwillingly to a society in Aldersgate Street, where one was reading Luther’s preface to the Epistle to the Romans. About a quarter before nine, while he was describing the change which God works in the heart through faith in Christ, I felt my heart strangely warmed. I felt I did trust in Christ, Christ alone, for salvation; and an assurance was given me that he had taken away my sins, even mine, and saved me from the law of sin and death.”

John Wesley, Journals (London, 1836)

I have heard some scoff at this account. “Pietistic” was the word used, as if that settled it. I’m not big on man-made labels one way or the other. But what God gave Wesley that evening I revere as biblical, I cherish as personal, I respect as powerful. I believe in theologically aroused heart-religion. It is the gospel getting traction inside us where it really counts.

God helping me, I will promote this glorious power to my dying day — and consider it a privilege.

4 comments:

Brad said...

"But what God gave Wesley that evening I revere as biblical, I cherish as personal, I respect as powerful. I believe in theologically aroused heart-religion. It is the gospel getting traction inside us where it really counts."

Nice thoughts, Jared.
Brad

Jared said...

Brad, yes, they are, but those are Dr. Ortlund's. I didn't write a thing in this post. It's Wesley, then Ortlund.

Glad it blessed you, though.

Roberta said...

In the Living Bible Luke 24:32 says "They began telling each other how their hearts had felt strangely warm as He talked with them and explained the Scriptures during the walk down the road."

Jesus does that and I believe that is how Wesley felt.

mason booth said...

Jared -

thanks for sharing as one of Wesley's tribe trying to encourage like minded methodist to turn toward a Gospel centered, Jesus focused ministry..this encourages me, especially coming from a more reformed brother...it is nice to see something in writing that recognizes whether we agree with all of Wesley's theology, there is no denying is passion for the least and lost in England. no one since him and Whitefield had that kind of passion...may we all, both Reformed and Wesylan re-discover the hunger for lost souls...

blessings..

mason