Monday, December 8, 2008

"Total Church" Gets an A+

Finished Total Church by Tim Chester and Steve Timmis last week. Holy cow. Fantastic book. Probably the best book on "church" I've read in years, enhanced mainly because they say so much and so much that is essential in a relatively short number of pages. It is, seriously, "total."

If I had enough experience to write a book about church (I know, I know, that inexperience sure doesn't stop me from writing a blog about church :-), I wouldn't do it anyway because after Total Church anything I'd say would be redundant. They say everything that's most important and I had to keep myself from underlining everything, as something on every page resonated with me strongly, even the 2 or 3 times I disagreed with their points.

Trevin Wax has one or two minor quibbles, as well, but his review saves you the need for mine. Go check it out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the review, Jared. I ordered it today based on your recommendation.

Anonymous said...

yes, its an outstanding book. Probably my favourite on church. I read about 12 books on church last year and Total Church really stood out. Tomlin's Provocative Church was very good too.