Thursday, September 18, 2008

Seasonal Affective Disorder

In the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who will judge the living and the dead, and in view of his appearing and his kingdom, I give you this charge: Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage—with great patience and careful instruction. For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.

-- 2 Timothy 4:1-3

I think we're "out of season" right now.

My guess is that we get back "in season" by embracing the charge to preach the Word even though a great number in the Church don't want to hear it.

1 comment:

Randi Jo :) said...

Pastor JW,
I looked up some of your blogs with the word "rebuke" and stumbled upon this one. I have been searching through the Bible for examples of people rebuking each other... or calling each other to repentance or calling out each other's sins...

and I just don't really see any examples of it besides teachers rebuking the church (through paul's letters, etc.)...

There are those verses that talk about, "if a brother sins against you"... and how to confront in that situation..

but what if the sin isn't against you?

The Word of God (letters to the churches especially) are full of rebuking... the Word itself says that it's effective for rebuking, teaching, etc.

but I wonder when rebuking takes place between believers... non teachers/pastors.

When, if ever is it appropriate to rebuke each other? How?

This verse you wrote here implies there's room for it... and I think that verse is speaking to anybody....

but then the other side of me says....

Are the Word of God & Spirit (and teachers of the Word of God) designed to be THE rebuke-ers..

Yes we are called to encourage each other... but isn't it our role more than anything to love and trust in the Spirit in each other?

I am not sure what I'm asking...

but I'm beginning to believe that when the Word says it's a lamp unto MY feet. a light unto MY path.... maybe that's what it means?

maybe the Bible was supposed to be a lamp unto MY feet and a light for MY path.... not a flood light to shine onto others to judge if they are saved or not.. to reveal their blemishes and call them to repent.

yet I know there's a place to admonish (?) each other... but I have to believe that it's under very specific circumstances. Such as... a) when you are sure of the sin and not just assuming there's a sin there b) when you're in a loving, firm relationship with that person already.

I don't know.... anything to offer me on this topic on my heart today pastor? :)

BUT I know that you have so many other real life sheep and you have so many other things pulling at you --- so I won't be offended if you can't respond.