Thursday, September 11, 2008

Don't Forget

Will the numbers together "nine" and "eleven" ever not spark memory of that day?
I suspect not until the new generation comes into their own, the ones who weren't born or weren't old enough when it happened.

7 years ago today, I was sitting on my bed with my 4 month old daughter Macy, watching "The Today Show." They cut to the first tower burning. Lots of speculation. I watched. And saw the second plane hit the second tower as it happened.

The disconnect between what I was watching on TV and who I was holding in my lap held a power I'll never forget.

Now may the Lord of peace himself give you peace at all times and in every way. The Lord be with all of you.
-- 2 Thessalonians 3:16

2 comments:

Jared said...

Raffi, I did not approve your comment for a few reasons:

a) It was little more than a plug for your own blog.

b) By posting here, today, on this post, it nullified your stated intention on your post that you didn't wish to "yes, but" the memories of 9/11.

c) Many of us talk about hunger and poverty, etc. all year long. Reminding us of them on this one day, as a way of "wanting to put 9/11 in perspective" is insensitive and, well, lame.

It's okay for this day to focus on what happened on this day 7 years ago.
Asking for "perspective" is basically saying "it's not that bad."

Bad form, all around.

Anonymous said...

The disconnect between what I was watching on TV and who I was holding in my lap held a power I'll never forget.

Our 2nd daughter was born on this day 7 years ago so I can sympathize with what you were feeling. The dissonance between the beauty of a new life and the tragedy of such a violent event is just overwhelming.

I remember my wife had just received her epidural(which she was very thankful for) when her parents came in to tell us about the first crash. We turned the TV on in time to see the second plane hit. And then a few hours later A7 was born. Talk about surreal.

I'm having to hold back the tears just thinking about. Thanks for not forgetting along with me.