Friday, August 22, 2008

The Atonement: Infinitely Wonderful

Stealing this from my friend Ray:
"The chief impression that a study of the atonement leaves with us is that of the many-sidedness of Christ's work for men. When he died for us on the cross, he did something so infinitely wonderful that it is impossible to comprehend it in its fulness. However man's need be understood, that need is fully and abundantly met in Christ. The New Testament writers are like men who ransack their vocabulary to find words which will bring out some small fraction of the mighty thing that God has done for us. And yet, though it is so complex and so difficult, it may be put very simply: 'the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me' (Gal. 2:20)."

Leon Morris, The Cross in the New Testament

No comments: