Friday, April 4, 2008

Five for Friday: Sermon Podcasts

This is sort of a thrown-together, not-much-thought-given Five for Friday, and -- in the words of the Indian man in the cubicle with the unlikely name of "Carlos" who works for Comcast and has taken my call because I've been without Internet from 3 p.m. yesterday to 4 p.m. today, which is becoming a weekly occurrence and the main reason we are switching to AT&T, which also worries me seeing as how they're not exactly not a mega-corporation -- I do apologize.

Despite working from home all week, I actually don't listen to podcasts as much as I'd like. I probably subscribe to only 14 or so (which seems like a lot to me, but I have friends who subscribe to 30, 40, 50 and listen nonstop while at work or in their car).
I listen to generally one a day, and they are all sermon podcasts, which I know makes me a sermon nerd, but that's okay.

Anyways, here are the five I listen to, and I know the names here will place me right in the pigeonhole, but that's okay too.

1. John Piper
A message from him is like a fine seven course meal. I am never not challenged and convicted, I am never not edified, and I am never not satisfied. Piper without apology wants to feed us, and when he's done he wants us to have tasted and seen that the Lord is good -- supremely, exquisitely, sufficiently, exaltedly good.

2. Mark Driscoll
I'm actually a bit backed up on his stuff, but I love it. I have found, though, that after weeks of nonstop Driscoll listens, I am down to needing to listen to him in moderation. Once a week is good right now. :-)

3. Matt Chandler
Just started listening to Chandler, pastor of the Village Church in Dallas, TX, after hearing his sermon contributions to the last Resurgence conference (which were the best messages of the conference, IMHO, Piper's included). Man, is he great. Like Driscoll only funnier and Texan. Which means he's better. :-)
Here's why Chandler resonates with me: in addition to thinking he's the preacher whom I most resemble in message, tone, and style, there is no subject that he can't and won't make about the gospel. He doesn't tack it on. It's all gospel all the time.

4. Francis Chan
Just subscribed to him as well despite enjoying his messages bits at a time before. I like Chan (and Chandler for this reason, also) because it is clear he is not impressed by his own success. He has not altered his message after having brought "bigness" to fruition. He's on the shortlist of young and passionate gospel-driven preachers.

5. Andy Stanley
I probably listen to Stanley the least, but I do listen to him. Not a huge fan of the Northpoint juggernaut, but nobody balances both rhetorical polish (which speaks to his preparedness) and conversational style (which speaks to his relatabiliy) as well as Stanley. And of all the mega-dudes, he is the one whose practical-focused messages seem the most soaked in the sin/grace dynamic.
Check out his series "Life Rules," if you don't believe me. That's good stuff.

No comments: