Friday, March 14, 2008

Recovering From Spiritual Abuse

Via Bill Kinnon's shared items, I found this good post:
Recovery from Spiritual Abuse - Part 1: Five Personal Lessons From My Surviving Toxic Leaders

I consider myself recovered, but I know spiritual abuse by church and ministry leaders is epidemic, so hopefully someone out there will find something of benefit in Brad's promising new series.

I particularly look forward to his promised part 3, "What Made Me Susceptible to Being Used by Toxic Leaders?".

For my part, I think it was largely because I was young, immature, aching for guidance and mentorship, possessing a very low self-image, and lacking in confidence.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Jared. And the bizarre thing is that abusive people can think they're doing you a favor. The author of Judges summed up those wacko 300 years of Israel's history this way: "Everyone did what was right in his own eyes." They thought they were doing right, not wrong. So much for good intentions!