Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Scapegoating

Southern Baptist "evangelists" lament recovery of Calvinism in the SBC

How is this not some guys concerned the times have outgrown interest in their services?

The "evangelists" in lament are the traveling sort, the gentlemen who preach revivalistic, invitational sermons in different churches. The days of scheduled revivals and traveling evangelists are coming to a close (for better or worse, that's not my point). They are blaming Calvinism.

I don't know many SBC churches that still employ the services of an "evangelist." I don't know any SBC churches that could be classified as "a Calvinist church."

This is simply more fearmongering.

The sobering truth is, the young guys who are coming out of the seminaries with a Reformed soteriology are also the guys most eager to plant churches, forge missional communities (that would be "evangelism," btw), and preach the unadulterated Gospel.
Let's keep stamping them out, by all means. See where that gets us.

3 comments:

AJ said...

I think your read on this situation is right on. Ironically, when I recently took my required "evangelism" course at an SBC seminary, the lion's share of the material dealt with evangelists of "the traveling sort, the gentlemen who preach revivalistic, invitational sermons in different churches."

Sigh.

Anonymous said...

What is wrong with you all?
You have taken something so simple and have turned it into what the Pharisees did, and you are turning people away in droves and away from the real truth.

Jesus said...
"But woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you shut up the kingdom of heaven against men; for you neither go in yourselves, nor do you allow those who are entering to go in."
Matthew 23:12-14
"Then they understood that He did not tell them to beware of the leaven of bread, but of the doctrine of the Pharisees and Sadducees." Matthew 16:11-13

How on earth can any one every buy into the theology that you all seem to have bought into- Who is John Calvin, well he's just a man, who has some views on the bible, that don't speak the true heart of God. God so loved the WORLD, not a few elected souls, but the WORLD, that HE gave His only begotten son...

I think maybe you should get back in your bibles and stay out of seminaries that distort your good common sense, and less out of man's study of the bible and repent. Anytime we focus more on man's points of view of the bible,the deeper we all get into trouble. The more deception comes in and distorts the REAL truth.. GET OVER YOURSELVES.. Stop being so PUFFED UP and repent of your pride of knowledge, and turn back to the simple gospel of Jesus.

Acts 2: 21 And it shall come to pass that whoever calls on the name of the LORD shall be saved.

Praying for your souls in Kentucky

Jared said...

Robin, none of your passages there contradict anything Calvin taught or that any Calvinist I know believes.

You would do well, maybe, to actually look into what Calvinism is and what its basic tenets are.

If I need to stay away from man's interpretations, should I ignore your comment?

Get over myself?
My belief is that apart from Christ I am totally unable to choose Christ, totally dead in my sins. This is not a "puffed up" view. It is a view that makes the least of me and the most of God.

I appreciate the prayers, but I am sure that my soul is bought by Jesus. He is the Lord of the Universe, and his power is all-surpassing.

Peace