Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Simply Simple

Mark Batterson just blogged on Simple Church by Thom Rainer and Eric Geiger.

I'm about halfway through the book now, and it is really quite something. A bit more pragmatic in spirit than I'd like, but certainly radically pragmatic in the sense that they argue for drastic cuts to church busy-ness, weeding out even "successful" programs that drain a church's resources and energy.

What I love about discovering "new" approaches like this is when they don't strike me as new but as firmer articulations and explorations of the way God is already nudging my thinking. About a month ago I had a conversation with a pastor who, from his place further along on the journey than me, was able to help affirm some of the developing convictions I've been having about community. Reading Simple Church now, it is like receiving more confirmation that those like me aren't on the wrong track.

Simplify. It makes sense, right?
And it is better to start simple than to develop into a multi-tentacled programming machine of a church and then have to start breaking hearts when you opt for simplicity later.

My previous post on Simple Church is here.

In other book news, I just got this in from Amazon and I can't wait to dig in.

No comments: