Thursday, July 7, 2011

What the Gospel Helps Us Want When Someone Sins Against Us

I don't know all the reasons why C.J. Mahaney is stepping down -- and I don't need to know. It's none of my business.

But it's fairly clear from the comments on a certain blog site, that it is not a repentant C.J. some people want, but a demoralized C.J., a humiliated C.J.

When we are sinned against, a gospel mindset (and heartset) helps us to seek justice, not vengeance.

I pray the process is fruitful and reconciliation/restoration/restitution is found in a way that honors the wronged, convicts the wrong, and above all glorifies Jesus.

4 comments:

Ryan Phelps said...

Just when I think that the internet can't get any weirder...

Jared said...

I should have written "fairly clear from some comments" on that post. I didn't mean to imply from "all."

My apologies.

Unknown said...

Good observations Jared

anonymous said...

SGM, much like yourself, is big on reminding us of the relevance of the gospel not just in evangelism, but in our day to day life. Never do we outgrow our need for it. It isn't just what brings us to Christ, but what keeps us in Christ. It has been my prayer these past few days as this whole situation has been coming to light, that those who have accused him (and rightly so in my opinion) will now experience the grace of the gospel in forgiving him. In Ephesians 4:24, it is an appeal to the Gospel that motivates us to forgive. It is as we remember that we are the forgiven, that we are empowered to become forgivers. And so, I pray for Brent Detweiler and for the many who are calling for what sounds an awful lot like vengeance, to experience afresh the wonder of the Gospel. And to deal with their fallen brother in a spirit that reflects a sense of the magnitude of their own sin, but of the infinitely greater magnitude of the grace that forgave and now allows them to forgive.